Sexual abuse is sexually abusive or exploitative behaviour (ANPEA).
- Rape - Sexual intercourse against the wishes of an individual.
- Indecent assault - Inappropriate sexual handling and touching.
- Sexual harassment - Inappropriate comments / labelling about general appearance, attitude and behaviour.
- Any behaviour that makes an older person feel uncomfortable about their body or gender.
Signs of Sexual Abuse
Instruments of sexual abuse can include rape, indecent assault, sexual harassment and inappropriate touching. Below are some signs of sexual abuse, however it can be very difficult to identify as embarrassment and shame may prevent the subject from being raised.
- Bruising around the breasts or genital area
- Unexplained venereal disease or genital infections
- Torn, stained, or bloody underclothing
- Presence of sperm in the vagina or anus
- Vaginal bleeding not associated with menses
- Bruising on the inner thighs
- Difficulty in walking or sitting